Friday, December 29, 2006

The Search is OVER!!!

We finally found a reasonable vehicle! I bought a 2000 Kia Sportage. It is a very cute little SUV, and I have really been enjoying driving it over the past two days. I would have taken pictures of it today, but it has been raining all day and I don't want to get the new camera all wet. I will have to wash it after the rain stops and post some pictures then.

I have been totally happy with my little SUV until today. For most of the day, the windshield wipers have worked just fine. I bought a new set because the ones already on were a little streaky, but they were working just fine. Well, I stopped in at a little shop to get my hair trimmed and when I came out and started the truck, the windshield wipers were not wiping as smoothly across the windshield as they were previously. I hope the motor isn't going out!

Also, all of a sudden, the damn "check engine" light came on! It better not be anything serious or expensive to fix! I stopped by Lamb's Automotive and they said they would give it a complete check-up from the brakes up for $89.99. I'm thinking I should shop around for that type of service. That price seems a little high since they aren't even fixing anything! Especially considering that the Ranger could use a check-up, too.

I managed to get the Sportage for just under $3400 after all the TT&L, which is a good deal. I checked Kelly Blue Book online and it said that the retail value should be $6000-$6400 before taxes and such.

We went down to a Chevy dealership (yes, Mike set foot on the grounds) to test drive a Malibu I was told would be $3400. I drove it around for a bit (yes, Mike sat his butt in the passenger seat!) and then was told that it would be close to $4000. Uh ... NO! We left.

Just up the road a little ways was a Ford dealership. We figured, "what the hell, we're in the area. Let's see what they have." Someone had just traded in the Kia. The salesman said he would check with his manager to see what the pricing would be on it due to the fact that it had not been reconditioned in their shop yet. He said he could get me out the door and off the lot for $3400. I said, "You've got yourself a deal!"

I still can't believe I bought another car!

I guess I should thank A1 for it. I think sometime during the Holiday Season he was visited bt three spirits (Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker, Jim Beam) who told him it would be a good idea to pay off the rest of the back child support he owed. Considering the fact that I am his youngest "child" and I'm 25, I'm sure it was a wise choice to pay the remaining balance off. He most likely would have been paying until I was 30!

So, thanks to A1 and his friendly spirits, I had a little bit more that $2000 to spend and I found what will hopefully (I'm keeping my fingers crossed) be a reliable mode of transportation. But just in case, I'm going to talk to Michael about adding Roadside Rescue coverage to our insurance policy.

1 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, Blogger Ronni said...

http://lovehonoranddismay.blogspot.com/2006/07/five-minute-drill.html

I found this for the sleep through the night problem. I wish I had thought of it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home