Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thanksgiving? Really?

I still can't believe this year has gone by so fast. It seems like we just took the Christmas tree down a few weeks ago and this weekend we will be putting it up again!

Thanksgiving is the day after tomorrow. I know that, because I just spent all day busting my rump trying to get the house together in some sort of presentable manner because we have started a new tradition. I must be really grown up now, because we are hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas now. Who ever would have thunk it?

I'm so glad it is turkey time again. Every year around August or September I start craving the meal. Mom's awesome roasted turkey, stuffing, roasted sweet potatoes, my sister's home-made cranberry sauce. The thought of these things makes me drool!

This time of year also reminds me that our world isn't the same as it used to be. I was talking to my friend a few days ago and she was saying she's not excited about Thanksgiving at all. She feels it's just another day she has to spend in the kitchen while her family sits around watching football.

I think that's sad. First of all, I love the cooking part. All of the smells that fill the house are what makes it home. Spending all day in the kitchen is something I love to do, and eating the results is wonderful too. (I just don't like cleaning up the mess.) I'm hoping that as Ethan grows up, we can share the enjoyment of putting together the feast.

But the holiday really isn't about the food. Thanksgiving started long ago because the settlers were thankful. They were happy to be alive. People these days seem to forget that Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on their lives. Now is when we should think about all of the things we have been blessed with, and thank whomever we hold responsible for blessing us with said things.

Having said that, here's my list:

I'm thankful for life. Thank you, Higher Being, for seeing in your infinite wisdom to put me on this earth. Also thank you, Mom and Jim, for giving me the chance to start over. I don't know where I would be otherwise, but I got a good idea of it yesterday while watching Dr. Phil. http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/797/

I'm thankful for love. Thank you Michael, for being there for me always. We may fight sometimes, but who doesn't? We always manage to make up afterwards.

I'm thankful for family, not only the one I started from, but the one I'm starting. Thank you to all of you, blood relations or not. You know who you are.

I'm thankful for health. My own, and for that of the people I love. Thanks goes out again to that Higher Being, for giving us the strength to survive.

There are many other things in this world to be thankful for, but these are the staples for me. Hopefully reading this will give you the chance to ponder your life and realize what is important. Go give someone you love a hug!

5 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Blogger Ronni said...

~snif~

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Ronni said...

I still have a hard time accepting that you used heroin. I saw the needls; I saw your skinny self, but I never really thought that's what you were doing.

I love you, honey. I know I wasn't as good a mom as you should have been able to expect, but I always loved you. And I always knew you would be OK.

 
At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I could give you a hug, Vanessa.

You come from good stock and it shows.

Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Nessa said...

Thank you!

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Nessa said...

And as for being better, Mom, you can just hush about that!

I thought I was grown, and I kept some really big secrets that should have destroyed my life completely. There wasn't anything anyone could have done if I hadn't decided to change MYSELF.

You were there for me when I decided enough was enough. You helped me drag myself back to my feet. That's what matters. You couldn't have stopped me from getting into the mess I made, but you helped me out of it.

Now I'm clean, I respect myself again. I'm a lot more grown up than I thought I was then. I'm healthy (kind of) and happy, and actually starting a family of my own.

That's partly because of you and Jim. You have always done the best you could with what you had to work with. I only hope that I can do the same.

The things I went through made me stronger, and I'll know what to look for to make sure Ethan stays out of the same trouble.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home