Friday, September 22, 2006

Heffalumps

We have a family of Heffalumps upstairs from us. I cannot for the life of me figure out why it is that Heffalumps insist on migrating upstairs, but it happens everywhere. Our herd was playing games a couple of months ago, jumping from some piece of furniture onto the floor. Their landing pad just happens to be the floor above the ceiling in our bedroom. Their escapades have somehow shaken our ceiling fan and loosened it up and now it periodically rattles and hums and sometimes sounds like it will come crashing down on us any second.

When we first moved in, it was fine. That fan did not make a noise. It was so peaceful! I miss those days. Now, it keeps me up at night. There is no pattern to it, no rhyme or reason, no steady click that I could learn to ignore. Sometimes its silent, sometimes it rattles, sometimes it hums and shakes, sometimes it clicks. I would call maintenance but I do not know how to explain to them what happened. "My neighbor's fat ass kid knocked it loose" is the only way I can think of, and that's just not very nice.

I'll have to think of something because I can't sleep without the air circulating, and even an Ambien can't knock me out when that thing gets to shakin' the way it does. Obviously nothing will be done about the heffalumps. We have tried talking to them directly, no change. We have tried complaining to the management. They told us they could transfer us to a different apartment. Ha! I'm NOT moving all this stuff again! We are not the ones causing the disturbance. Move the heffalumps, I say.

Their apartment has a two-car garage. They have so much junk in it that they have stored their broken-down-Nissan-piece-of-junk in the only available parking space anywhere near the entrance to our side of the building. It hasn't moved since we moved in. The tire went flat on it and they started up an air compressor at 10:30 one night to air it up so the car won't get towed. They have two cars and a two car garage. They should store their broken-down-Nissan-piece-of-junk in their GARAGE. That way that space might be available for other people who live in our building. Like, maybe, a 22 weeks preggers with swollen ankles who just worked a 9 hour shift putting up with BS from her co-workers. Or someone else who might want to park a working vehicle there. Someone who might move it once or twice a day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home