Monday, September 18, 2006

Nature





When I got out to my truck this morning (ok, so it was almost afternoon...Did I mention its my day off?) I noticed this little stowaway trying to hitch a ride.

I don't know if this is a male or female praying mantis, but I will assume its female due to the fact that it was, in fact, alive when I put it in the grass next to my truck, and I know the fate of the male praying mantis.


I know the life span of a bug is not the greatest, but I have to admire the females. I know I could not live with the guilt that would come from killing the father of my child. Sometimes he makes me want to kill him, but I know that those feelings pass and I am a very co-dependent person. I don't like to be without companionship.

I also have to admire the males. I have to assume they know what's coming. I know they don't have their fathers to warn them about the women, but they have to wonder why their buddies never come home after the first date. If I were them I would be afraid...Very afraid. But they do their duty and give up their lives to continue their species, and they have to be admired for that.

3 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger Nessa said...

I remember the one you stomped to death when you were 3! You were so proud of yourself for killing the scary bug instead of running away from it!

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Nessa said...

Mom, you accidentally posted under my name that time. One hazard of sharing a computer is you make me look like I'm talking to myself!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Ronni said...

You mean you don't?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home