Saturday, September 30, 2006

Good Night!

I can't sleep. Between being mad about my truck and sad about Jazz, there is a small amount of emotion left to be happy that Mike got to feel Bean kick me tonight.

My headache is back. Go figure.

We parked my truck at the front of the complex. I don't know how much good it'll do though. There won't be a window on the passenger side until Monday morning, so anyone could come along and just steal the whole truck!

Mike called the towing company that partners with the apartment complex to see if they would tow the Heffalumps' car. They said they would come out and put a sticker on it to warn them that it will be towed in 24 hours, but they didn't. When we got home from dinner there was no sticker on it. Maybe we'll have to call them again tomorrow. We can just bug the apartment office and the towing company every day until something gets done.

On the bright side of things, they fixed the "security gate." And I do use that term quite loosely. It' s funny when you think about it. We lived in our old apartment complex for three years and never had anything stolen from us. We moved from there because the neighborhood was going downhill fast. The Stang had been hit in the parking lot and had to be repaired, so we moved into a much nicer complex. We could only afford an apartment with a one-car garage, so the Stang, being the more valuable vehicle by about three times over, sleeps in the garage.

We never expected something like this to happen in this area. We thought we were moving away from the type of environment where these things happen. For crying out loud, someone got MUGGED on the property at our old place! We thought we would be safer in a complex where we pay almost $1000 a month to live! So much for that idea.

And I'm still upset about my little Jazz. I guess it hadn't really hit me yet that she has cancer. It didn't really become real for me until tonight. Sure, she's been in a wheelchair since the surgery, but it didn't hit me until heather said the words, "It just fell out in my hands." Even Mike got teared up over that one, and he doesn't share emotions that easily, especially in public.

Now it's REAL. Now I can't be in denial anymore. The next time I see her, the next time anyone sees her, she will look sick. I don't have any idea how I will stay strong for her. How can I walk up to her and give her a hug and tell her she's going to be OK? And I worry about Heather. What do I do for her? What about the siblings? I feel so helpless, and now's the time when I want to help the most.

But I can't make it better. Nobody can. And that really hurts.

8 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Blogger Ronni said...

Just being there is the most help you can be.

I love you Vanessa. Just do what you'd hope she could do for you.

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vanessa, I'm a friend of your mother's from the theatre, and I sympathize utterly. My husband had cancer, and the day I came in and half his hair was gone, it hit and hit hard. And somehow, you keep going. Everyone does what must be done, and you love as hard as you can. And then when that magic word 'remission' finally happens? Then we all fall apart. But you can do it. I wish you hope and strength. :)

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Ronni said...

Vanessa, remember the mantra:

"It's only hair. It will grow."

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Ronni said...

Melissa Mora, the theater teacher at Hutto High, is rally good at knitting. She wants to make Jazz a 'chemo cap," and was asking me what colour. I told hr red, or black and red, because of the team colours. I'd like to make her one as well, so what colours does she like?

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Jazz's family are in my thoughts and prayers. I know you and her family will find the strength to deal with this. You are your mother's child and she is one of the strongest people I know.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Nessa said...

Jazz likes blues and greens, maybe a little pink, yellow, orange

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Nessa said...

And she has a small head

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Nessa said...

and Heather says thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home